So, today I have a healthier comforting recipe for you.
The only part of this meal that requires a little preparation is the cashew cream. But it is worth it! Just soak the cashews overnight, and blend in the food processor! Cashew cream is a great healthier alternative to heavy cream, which means you can put more cheese on top, right?
Sear the chicken thighs until slightly crispy and golden. Then shred 'em up.
Onions are cooked in white wine until softened, then add the chicken back in. Along with garlic and fresh herbs. Things are looking good now.
The spaghetti squash is roasted, scraped out, and added to the chicken. Now add the cashew cream and marinara, top with cheese and bake!
Creamy, cheesy delicousness.
[recipe title= "Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Bake" servings= "5-6" time= "About 1 Hour and 30 Minutes"]
Adapted from Love and Lemons
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water (or more if needed)
- Salt and pepper
- In a food processor, or high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients until smooth.
*Note: This does make extra!
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Bake:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/2 jar of marinara
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil, and set aside.
- Cut the ends off of the squash, and slice in half. Scrape out the seeds, and drizzle olive oil over the squash side of the halves. Use your hands and evenly spread the oil all over the cut sides of the squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place the squash on the baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until tender. Scrape the squash out of the skins, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the squash is roasting, heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pat chicken completely dry, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the chicken, and sear until golden and slightly crispy. Remove from the pan, and shred into bite-size pieces.
- In the same pan, add the onions and white wine. Stir the onions, making sure to get any bits up that are stuck to the bottom. Cook until the onions are softened and wine has reduced almost completely.
- Add the shredded chicken, herbs and garlic to the pan and toss to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, and then add the marinara, cashew cream and squash. Turn off the heat, and stir until thoroughly combined. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Smooth out the mixture, top with the cheese, and bake for 20-25 minutes. The mixture should be bubbling and cheese completely melted. Top with dried or fresh basil if you'd like!